McCoy: Gentry feels he's set with lineup for rest of season
Alvin Gentry may have found a permanent solution to his team's offensive woes.
The Suns' head coach has experimented with five different starting lineups this season, with the most recent shake-up coming Dec. 12. Since then, the Suns have won four straight games.
"I think coach Gentry likes the starting unit and certainly you'd have to say Jared Dudley and Shannon Brown have responded," Suns' announcer Al McCoy told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Friday.
McCoy thinks Gentry will stick with the starting five of Luis Scola, Jared Dudley, Shannon Brown, Goran Dragic and Marcin Gortat going forward.
"I think it's going to last a long time," McCoy said. "[Gentry] said he feels he's set with this lineup for the rest of the season. Certainly the moves have been productive."
Dudley has seen his play improve since changing positions and Brown has thrived in his starting role.
"Jared Dudley is where he belongs, he's a small forward. He really operates in that position very well," McCoy stated. "Shannon Brown who wants to be a starter, he's one of the few players who can create shots on this team, so he's been certainly a great addition and I think that coach Gentry is very, very comfortable with that lineup."
The proof is in the numbers: The Suns have increased their field goal percentage and their three-point shooting since Gentry made the change.
The players seem to be responding well in their new roles but McCoy said they are expected to continue to perform well on a nightly basis.
"The energy level has been there," McCoy stated. "They've done a lot of positive things but as you know in the NBA what's in the past is in the past because there's always another game and these back-to-back games are going to be very important."
The Suns will face the Trail Blazers in Portland on Saturday night at 8:00 p.m. before returning home to host the Los Angeles Clippers at 6:00 p.m. on Sunday.
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday June 18Jared Dudley joins Doug and Wolf to talk NBA Finals.
- Jared Dudley, Suns' Forward - Tuesday June 11JD gives us his player's perspective on the NBA Finals.
- Brian Windhorst, NBA ESPN.com Writer - Friday June 7Brian Windhorst talks about Game 1 of the NBA Finals and what to expect from the rest of the series.
- Suns GM Ryan McDonough - Friday June 7The Suns GM talks about prospects Ben McLemore of Kansas and Victor Oladipo of Indiana.
- Eddie Johnson, Suns' TV Analyst - Thursday June 6EJ previews game 1 of the NBA Finals. Plus, what are his thoughts on George Karl's firing?