Updated Nov 28, 2012 - 3:45 pm
Alvin Gentry: 'Scola is a true professional'
In a move Gentry labeled one of the hardest decisions he has ever had to make, Scola was moved to the bench for the first time since his rookie year in order to give the starting five more athleticism.
"I've been a fan of his since the day he walked in the league and to have to take him and put him on the bench," Gentry told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo. "I just thought that Markieff [Morris] and Marcin [Gortat] is a little bit better fit out there than Scola."
Scola initially struggled in his new role, scoring only four points on 2-of-4 shooting and providing a single rebound in 19 minutes of play against the Portland Trail Blazers last Wednesday. But in his last three games coming off the bench, Scola has scored in double digits while shooting 56 percent from the floor.
Gentry added that although Scola has expressed a desire to return to the starting lineup, he has remained a "true professional" and only wants to help the team win.
Along with Scola, forward Jared Dudley was benched in favor of the more explosive Shannon Brown. Gentry stressed fans shouldn't be quick to place blame for the Suns' poor start on Scola or Dudley, he simply made the changes he felt would most benefit the team.
"[Scola] was playing very good for us. He was not playing poorly. He or [Dudley], either one. [Dudley], hadn't shot the ball as well, but neither one of those guys were directly responsible for our poor start," said Gentry. "So, it's really tough to say ‘Ok you two guys are coming out' because everybody just assumed that they're the guys that aren't playing well but Scola was playing great for us."
When asked what it was like when he broke the news to Scola, Gentry praised the power forward's dedication to the team but also said he made it clear he belonged in the starting five.
"I think he felt like he was a starter and he is. He expressed that," said Gentry. "But, he also followed that up with ‘Coach, I'm a true professional and I'm going to do whatever I have to help this team win games.' That's why you love having a guy like him on your team."
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.