Updated Nov 16, 2012 - 2:34 pm
Lakers announcer was a fan of D'Antoni in Phoenix
The Suns will have to call their former leaders rivals as they trade their familiar purple and orange gear for Lakers gold.
During the off-season, Suns' legend Steve Nash was traded to the Lakers, and now former head coach Mike D'Antoni will join him in the City of Angels.
While Nash and D'Antoni were together in Phoenix, the Suns won 73 percent of their games over four years
Seeing the two reunited can't help but bring up memories of better days in Phoenix.
John Ireland, the radio voice of the Los Angeles Lakers, joined Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday and reminisced about the ways things used to be for the Suns.
"I have never been to more entertaining games than when D'Antoni was winning 55 games a year with you guys in Phoenix," Ireland said. "I loved the whole act, I loved the way they won, [the way] Nash was dribbling, and there was a Globetrotters element to all of that."
Ireland has traveled with the Lakers since 2002 and said he grew up watching Magic Johnson and the Showtime Lakers.
"What you guys had from ‘04 to ‘09 was the closet things to Showtime that I have ever seen," Ireland said.
Built around Nash, forwards Amar'e Stoudemire and Shawn Marion, the D'Antoni-led Suns won the Pacific Division each of their first three seasons. However in the 2007-08 season, Phoenix traded Marion for center Shaquille O'Neal.
"I think the biggest mistake the Suns ever made was breaking that thing up and trading for Shaq," Ireland said.
At the time of the trade, the Suns had the best record in the Western Conference. But after, the team finished sixth and was eliminated in the first round by the San Antonio Spurs.
Since that time, they have only made the playoffs once.
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.