Updated Jun 24, 2014 - 1:47 pm
Patrick Peterson and Antonio Cromartie named amongst NFL's 'overrated' corners
Shutdown Corner writer Eric Edholm says Peterson is a player that matches up well against bigger wide receivers such as Julio Jones in man coverage, but tried to reason why the former LSU Tiger is more hyped up than he deserves to be.
But smart, savvy and quicker receivers can give him fits. Double moves still befuddle Peterson. Yes, he can do things that 90 percent of corners cannot, but Peterson is still attacked regularly and beaten with some level of frequency that keeps him out of the elite category.
Peterson had three interceptions and 40 tackles in his third season with the team, which earned him a Pro Bowl appearance and a spot as a first-team All-Pro. Edholm also gave Peterson some credit for his confidence and that while his physicality is great, it's not "truly elite."
As for Peterson's teammate, Frank Schwab explained that although Cromartie is looked at as one of the better cornerbacks in the NFL, he has suffered a severe drop off in recent years.
Cromartie had a great 2007 season, with 10 interceptions, and that's when he started being considered one of the best cornerbacks in the game. He also hasn't done a ton since then. Cromartie moved on from the Chargers to the Jets, and next season he'll be with the Cardinals. Unless Cromartie can recapture his 2012 season (which was legitimately good), all Arizona will be getting is the post-2007 Cromartie, which is a corner who makes a big play here or there but generally gives up plenty, too.
While the Cardinals secondary is once again expected to be one of the toughest in the league next season, if these writers are correct, it could have a few more holes than anticipated.
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.