Updated Jun 24, 2014 - 1:47 pm
Patrick Peterson and Antonio Cromartie named amongst NFL's 'overrated' corners
Shutdown Corner writer Eric Edholm says Peterson is a player that matches up well against bigger wide receivers such as Julio Jones in man coverage, but tried to reason why the former LSU Tiger is more hyped up than he deserves to be.
But smart, savvy and quicker receivers can give him fits. Double moves still befuddle Peterson. Yes, he can do things that 90 percent of corners cannot, but Peterson is still attacked regularly and beaten with some level of frequency that keeps him out of the elite category.
Peterson had three interceptions and 40 tackles in his third season with the team, which earned him a Pro Bowl appearance and a spot as a first-team All-Pro. Edholm also gave Peterson some credit for his confidence and that while his physicality is great, it's not "truly elite."
As for Peterson's teammate, Frank Schwab explained that although Cromartie is looked at as one of the better cornerbacks in the NFL, he has suffered a severe drop off in recent years.
Cromartie had a great 2007 season, with 10 interceptions, and that's when he started being considered one of the best cornerbacks in the game. He also hasn't done a ton since then. Cromartie moved on from the Chargers to the Jets, and next season he'll be with the Cardinals. Unless Cromartie can recapture his 2012 season (which was legitimately good), all Arizona will be getting is the post-2007 Cromartie, which is a corner who makes a big play here or there but generally gives up plenty, too.
While the Cardinals secondary is once again expected to be one of the toughest in the league next season, if these writers are correct, it could have a few more holes than anticipated.
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- All-Access with Arians: Running game is fine, defense is better than last year
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.