Updated Jun 10, 2014 - 2:42 pm
Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu taking recovery 'as it comes'
The Arizona Cardinals safety who tore the ACL and LCL in his left knee while returning a kick during a Week 14 win over the St. Louis Rams on Dec. 8 is working his way back -- slowly.
"It's a long process and it's going to continue to be a long process," he said after the Cardinals had their first minicamp practice Tuesday. "I just try to come to work every day, stay on top of my rehab and just continue to push myself.
"I don't try to get too down about it, I don't try to get too up, too excited [when] my knee's feeling good. I just take it as it comes."
Mathieu's recovery is one of the most interesting and pressing storylines of the offseason. A key member of the team's defense last season, the former third-round pick out of LSU finished fourth on the team with 68 total tackles while also intercepting two passes, earning a quarterback sack and forcing a fumble.
He did all that in roughly 13 games.
Assuming he can get back to full strength before the regular season begins, the secondary figures to be a strength for the team.
But there's still a long way to go before the Week 1 opener against the San Diego Chargers, just as there is a long way to go before Mathieu will be back on the field looking to make plays.
For now it's all about just getting better and reaching the next plateau.
"Put that helmet on, do some drills with the guys," he said. "I think that will be the next step for me, the next big step for me."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.