Updated Jun 10, 2014 - 2:42 pm
Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu taking recovery 'as it comes'
The Arizona Cardinals safety who tore the ACL and LCL in his left knee while returning a kick during a Week 14 win over the St. Louis Rams on Dec. 8 is working his way back -- slowly.
"It's a long process and it's going to continue to be a long process," he said after the Cardinals had their first minicamp practice Tuesday. "I just try to come to work every day, stay on top of my rehab and just continue to push myself.
"I don't try to get too down about it, I don't try to get too up, too excited [when] my knee's feeling good. I just take it as it comes."
Mathieu's recovery is one of the most interesting and pressing storylines of the offseason. A key member of the team's defense last season, the former third-round pick out of LSU finished fourth on the team with 68 total tackles while also intercepting two passes, earning a quarterback sack and forcing a fumble.
He did all that in roughly 13 games.
Assuming he can get back to full strength before the regular season begins, the secondary figures to be a strength for the team.
But there's still a long way to go before the Week 1 opener against the San Diego Chargers, just as there is a long way to go before Mathieu will be back on the field looking to make plays.
For now it's all about just getting better and reaching the next plateau.
"Put that helmet on, do some drills with the guys," he said. "I think that will be the next step for me, the next big step for me."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.