ESPN's Mike Sando: Offense will be the key for the 2014 Arizona Cardinals
They are big shoes to fill, no doubt. But one NFL insider thinks even though Washington's absence will be an issue, the pressure is on another Cardinals unit this upcoming season.
"I think the offense in Arizona is the most important thing," ESPN's Mike Sando told Doug and Wolf Monday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "It was much better in the second half of last year, I think quietly so. I think Carson Palmer was much better.
"I think that is going to be even more important now -- that Bruce Arians' stamp on that side of the ball pays off and takes pressure off the defense so they don't have to carry it every week like it felt like they did at times early in the year."
Sando's assessment is statistically proven. In the first half of 2014, the Cardinals averaged 20 points and 314.5 yards per contest. Those numbers jumped up to 27.4 points and 378.3 yards per game after their Week 9 bye. Turnovers were also down substantially from 2.3 per game in the season's first half to 1.6 per contest in Weeks 10-17.
Sando believes that improvement was not an anomaly.
"I kind of trust Bruce Arians to have the offense going," he said. "They're going to miss Daryl Washington. The defense may not be quite as good, certainly at that position, but that's not the whole team, either and that's not the whole part of their plan.
"The offense, to me, has to take the next step, and it started to last year."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.