Updated May 28, 2014 - 10:45 am
'Night and day' difference for Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald
It was a bit of a bounce-back season for the Pro Bowler, whose 82 receptions were the most he'd had since 2010 and his 10 touchdowns his highest total since 2009.
About to enter his 11th NFL season, all with the Cardinals, the 30-year-old admits he's more comfortable now than he was a year ago when he was being asked to learn new positions and a different offense by a first-year coaching staff.
"It's light years ahead, so much more comfortable," he said after an OTA Tuesday. "With the play calling and what my assignments are. And not only what my assignments are, but what conceptually what everybody's doing and what everybody has and hots and sights and stuff like that.
"It's night and day."
It's the difference between year one and year two in a new system, and it was apparent as last season went on that Fitzgerald, who caught 46 passes for 484 yards and five touchdowns over the final eight games, six of which were Arizona victories.
That success has translated into momentum that has carried over to this offseason.
"We watched the tape from last year at this time, there's a stark contrast, so it's great to see guys flying around knowing exactly what they need to do," he said.
So perhaps it should not come as a surprise that there is no shortage of confidence at this point, which is a time of year where some players, especially veterans, may find it tough to stay completely motivated.
That's not the case in Arizona, Fitzgerald said, noting that everyone in the locker room believes in each other and has no complaints about what they're being asked to do, even if it means working out in the desert sun, which nobody else in the NFL has to deal with.
"There's nobody holding their head down, everybody is eager to be out here getting better."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 27, 2014
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.