We are Rome. Gladiators were used as sport for the masses, they entertained. They often times were slaves or came from a poor background or were criminals.
Although this is certainly not the case with professional athletes today, one could argue this is where professional sports may be headed.
Let me proffer this: what would be wrong with making professional athletes -- starting with football -- sign waivers when they entered the sport? They waive the right to sue the league when they are done playing. In exchange, the league covers all medical costs for the player's life. The player signs an ironclad waiver in exchange for making exceptional money and receives guaranteed medical coverage for life.
I think this would be acceptable to most players. I know it wouldn't have bothered me. I would have accepted the risks without hesitation, even knowing what I know today about concussions. And I think owners would be okay with that agreement as well.
But how would fans feel about that? That's the bigger question. After all, there can be no league without owners, there can be no game without players, and there can be no pay without fans.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Arizona Cardinals begin to move on without Darnell Dockett
- Forbes: Arizona Cardinals are NFL's 25th-most valuable team
- Larry Fitzgerald taking things on a year-to-year basis, not worried about future with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.