We are Rome. Gladiators were used as sport for the masses, they entertained. They often times were slaves or came from a poor background or were criminals.
Although this is certainly not the case with professional athletes today, one could argue this is where professional sports may be headed.
Let me proffer this: what would be wrong with making professional athletes -- starting with football -- sign waivers when they entered the sport? They waive the right to sue the league when they are done playing. In exchange, the league covers all medical costs for the player's life. The player signs an ironclad waiver in exchange for making exceptional money and receives guaranteed medical coverage for life.
I think this would be acceptable to most players. I know it wouldn't have bothered me. I would have accepted the risks without hesitation, even knowing what I know today about concussions. And I think owners would be okay with that agreement as well.
But how would fans feel about that? That's the bigger question. After all, there can be no league without owners, there can be no game without players, and there can be no pay without fans.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Arizona Cardinals ranked 11th in Pro Football Talk's preseason power rankings
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?
- Kurt Warner- Former Cardinals QB - Wednesday June 18Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner talks about being inducted into the Ring of Honor.