Updated May 12, 2014 - 12:44 pm
Arizona Cardinals 2014 NFL Draft class 'not sexy but solid'
The Arizona Cardinals made seven selections over the three-day 2014 NFL Draft, taking four offensive and three defensive players:
|Troy Niklas||TE||2||52||Notre Dame
"You know what I love about it is I look at all those names," general manager Steve Keim said, "and I see guys who are big-time competitors, who love the game and bring an element of toughness to our locker room, which I don't think you can ever have enough of."
While it's a bit premature to make a final judgment on Keim's second draft class, one early review is quite favorable.
"The Cardinals have had a solid draft so far, not sexy but solid," NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock said during the broadcast on Saturday.
Keim stayed true to his board, drafting the best available player with a nod toward filling a need.
The Cardinals may not have had any immediate needs, but they did need to add depth at various positions, which will continue now with the signing of undrafted rookie free agents, specifically running back and along the offensive line.
"I've walked out of this building for many years when we got As and Bs (on our draft) and those players didn't turn out to be good players," Keim said. "So you have to just trust what you're doing and trust your board. And I trust the people in our room. And again, you have to avoid the noise sometimes and avoid what people are saying and you can't get caught up in some of the hype.
"Again, I've always trusted what I see on tape, and I think that we came away with a pretty good class."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim likes what he's seen from rookie John Brown
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.
- Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals GM - Monday July 28Cardinals GM Steve Keim talks about player evaluation during training camp.
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.