Arizona Cardinals add speed in Pittsburg State's John Brown
The second of the Arizona Cardinals' third-round picks and the 91st selection overall, the 5-foot-10, 179-pound receiver out of Pittsburg State brings a 4.34 40-yard dash time to the desert.
"We had to keep you guys on your toes with a small school guy from Pitt State," Cardinals GM Steve Keim joked. "He fits the mold that B.A. was looking for, that he's talked to me about since the day he got here.
"Fast, explosive, T.Y. Hilton-type of player. A guy who can take the top off a defense; has dual return ability in the punt and kick return game."
The Cardinals went through a few different players last season trying to find that type of guy, and this offseason went out and signed Ted Ginn, Jr. to a three-year deal. But the way Arizona sees it, you can never have too much speed on the field.
"As soon as he gets the ball, he's instant," Arians said. "He's kind of a combination, having had Antonio Brown in Pittsburgh and T.Y. Hilton the last two years; he's kind of a combination of those two types of guys."
Last season, Antonio Brown led the Steelers with 110 catches for 1,499 yards and eight touchdowns, while Hilton emerged as a go-to receiver with the Colts in catching 82 passes for 1,083 yards and five touchdowns. Neither player is taller than 5-foot-10.
Those are guys the Cardinals' Brown said he looks up to, and he's compared himself to both players while preparing for the NFL.
"I feel like I can do the things that those guys did," he said.
As a senior last season, the Cardinals' Brown caught 61 passes for 1,198 yards and 14 touchdowns, while adding another 653 yards and a touchdown in the return game.
"Very explosive once he touches the ball, but fearless going over the middle," Arians said. "If he's on the outside, you better give him a cushion, and he's going to take the top off at any point in time."
He'll be a good fit with the Cardinals' other receivers, including Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd and Ginn Jr,.
"That's going to be nice to feed off those guys, learn from them and just take my game to another level," Brown said. "That's something big, just watching those guys. Larry Fitzgerald is one of the best players in the game at receiver, and I can learn things from all those guys, and learn from Ted Ginn at the return game."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Arizona Cardinals RB Stepfan Taylor 'expecting more of a role' in 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: Carson Chats - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals rookie John Brown continues to impress while ignoring the hype
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b