Updated Apr 21, 2014 - 10:32 am
Peter King: Arizona Cardinals 'sweet' on Derek Carr and A.J. McCarron
Since then, the highest they've taken a signal caller is the fifth round. That's where, in 2010, the team nabbed John Skelton.
It goes without saying that even though it is possible to find a capable quarterback late in the draft, most top passers are gone after the first few rounds.
And while the Cardinals are certainly pleased with Carson Palmer, their starter is 34 years old and not exactly expected to be around for the long term, and neither backup Drew Stanton nor Ryan Lindley, a sixth-round pick in 2012, appear to be quarterbacks of the future.
So is this the year they take that guy?
According to SI.com's Peter King, they are pretty fond of a couple of this draft's passers.
Arizona is sweet on a couple of quarterbacks, Derek Carr and A.J. McCarron, who are first- and second-round possibilities. With coach Bruce Arians' love of the deep ball, McCarron in round two seems a bit of a reach. I will say this about McCarron: He doesn't have a great deep arm by any standard, but he's an accurate deep-ball thrower when he does air it out.
Both quarterbacks project to be around when the Cardinals are on the clock at 20, but it's tough to say if either would be there when the team's second pick, number 52, comes around.
But if they are, it wouldn't necessarily come as a shock, as now would be a good year to draft the quarterback of the future and allow them to sit behind Palmer and Stanton.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.