Javier Arenas signs with Atlanta Falcons
Defensive back/kick returner Javier Arenas, who spent just one season in the desert, has signed with the Atlanta Falcons on a one-year contract.
The Cardinals acquired Arenas in an offseason trade with the Kansas City Chiefs that sent fullback Anthony Sherman to the AFC West team.
In 16 games with the Cardinals in 2013, Arenas played just 107 defensive snaps, accumulating 12 total tackles and one quarterback sack.
On special teams, Arenas served as Arizona's kick returner. The fourth-year veteran averaged 21.4 yards on 23 returns, a figure that ranked 22nd out of 23 qualified NFL players.
Arenas joins linebacker Karlos Dansby (Cleveland), tight end Jim Dray (Cleveland) and wide receiver Andre Roberts (Washington) as 2013 Cardinals who have signed contracts elsewhere.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.