Updated Mar 8, 2014 - 7:48 am
Arizona Cardinals sign free agent tight end John Carlson
Carlson, 29, has been in the league for six seasons after being selected by the Seattle Seahawks out of Notre Dame in the second round of the 2008 NFL Draft.
The 6-foot-5, 248-pounder spent the last two seasons with the Minnesota Vikings. In 2013, he played in 13 games, starting eight, and caught 32 passes for 344 yards and a touchdown.
His 2013 season was cut short by a concussion Dec. 8 in a game against the Baltimore Ravens, the third the tight end has suffered in his career. He would miss the last three games of the season, and according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, considered retirement.
"That's something that my wife and I will consider. After every season it's an evaluation period because of the nature of our business. Players move around, players get cut, coaches get fired, things happen. So in that sense, every year is an evaluation period and this year will be no different. And the concussion part of it will be in that conversation."
For his career, Carson has 177 receptions for 1,906 yards and 14 touchdowns.
Carlson was released by Minnesota earlier in the week after signing a five-year, $25 million deal last offseason.
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.