Tony Dungy: Arizona Cardinals are 'very close'
A guest of Doug and Wolf's on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Thursday, former NFL coach and current NBC analyst Tony Dungy had good things to say about the team.
"They're very close," he said. "And you saw that in the game they went up there and won in Seattle. They have the formula, they know how to play Seattle and San Francisco."
The Cardinals went just 1-3 against those two teams last season, but were competitive enough in the losses to make you think the gap between them is not particularly wide.
"They've got a great defense; they're fast and aggressive, just like Seattle is," Dungy added. "They're very, very close.
"It reminds me of when I was in Tampa early on and Green Bay was the cream of the NFL, and we played Green Bay a couple of close games and our guys knew that they were getting close and it was just a matter of continuing to build and not long after that, Tampa was hoisting the Super Bowl trophy. So I think you're going to see the same thing."
Of course, Dungy was not in Tampa when the Buccaneers finally broke through to win the Super Bowl in 2003, as he had already been replaced by Jon Gruden. However, Dungy did win eventually win a championship a few years later when he coached the Indianapolis Colts to a Super Bowl XLI victory.
Out of coaching since 2008, he believes the Cardinals have a good leader in Bruce Arians.
"I love Coach Arians and the way he has kind of built this team," Dungy said. "So it's going to be really, really fun to watch them next year compete in this division that's probably the toughest in football."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.