Tony Dungy: Arizona Cardinals are 'very close'
A guest of Doug and Wolf's on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Thursday, former NFL coach and current NBC analyst Tony Dungy had good things to say about the team.
"They're very close," he said. "And you saw that in the game they went up there and won in Seattle. They have the formula, they know how to play Seattle and San Francisco."
The Cardinals went just 1-3 against those two teams last season, but were competitive enough in the losses to make you think the gap between them is not particularly wide.
"They've got a great defense; they're fast and aggressive, just like Seattle is," Dungy added. "They're very, very close.
"It reminds me of when I was in Tampa early on and Green Bay was the cream of the NFL, and we played Green Bay a couple of close games and our guys knew that they were getting close and it was just a matter of continuing to build and not long after that, Tampa was hoisting the Super Bowl trophy. So I think you're going to see the same thing."
Of course, Dungy was not in Tampa when the Buccaneers finally broke through to win the Super Bowl in 2003, as he had already been replaced by Jon Gruden. However, Dungy did win eventually win a championship a few years later when he coached the Indianapolis Colts to a Super Bowl XLI victory.
Out of coaching since 2008, he believes the Cardinals have a good leader in Bruce Arians.
"I love Coach Arians and the way he has kind of built this team," Dungy said. "So it's going to be really, really fun to watch them next year compete in this division that's probably the toughest in football."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b