Player agent Leigh Steinberg talks about negotiating with Arizona Cardinals
In fact, pretty much from the time they moved to the state in 1988 until at least the time when University of Phoenix Stadium was constructed the Bidwills -- who owned the team -- were generally considered to be a tad bit frugal.
A guest of the Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Friday from Radio Row in New York, super agent Leigh Steinberg said that wasn't always the case.
"Two approaches," he said of how the Bidwills ran things. "When they were in St. Louis, they were notoriously frugal, and when they came to Arizona, they changed.
"They realized that the whole concept of being in a small market was different."
Steinberg talked about the "very successful negotiations" he had with the Cardinals involving quarterbacks Neil Lomax and Jake Plummer as examples of how money wasn't always a sticking point.
The 64-year-old who is credited as the real life inspiration for the movie "Jerry Maguire" went on to tell a story about how he learned not to call out owners in public like he did once when negotiating a contract for Cardinals second-round pick Theodis Brown in 1979.
That experience helped shape how he approaches owners nowadays.
"So when I had Leonard Davis or Jake (Plummer) or Neil Lomax, I stayed inside the system," Steinberg said. "They changed because their economics changed. They changed because of a new stadium. They changed because they're in one of the biggest thriving markets going."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Arizona Cardinals RB Stepfan Taylor 'expecting more of a role' in 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: Carson Chats - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals rookie John Brown continues to impress while ignoring the hype
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b