Forced into action, Cardinals' cornerback Antoine Cason shines
Before Sunday's game at the Tennessee Titans, the sixth-year corner out of the University of Arizona had recorded just six tackles and no pass breakups or interceptions in five games played after signing with the Cardinals as a free agent following five years with the San Diego Chargers.
But after versatile defensive back Tyrann Mathieu was lost for the season in last week's win over the St. Louis Rams, Cason was forced into a larger role with the Cardinals.
The 27-year-old couldn't have responded better.
Cason picked off two passes -- one came in overtime and he returned the other for a touchdown -- while also recovering a fumble and making four tackles to help the Cardinals hang on for a 37-34 overtime win over the Titans.
"Those guys have been playing well all year," Cason said of Arizona's defense. "I knew I needed to come up big and step up just as good as they've been playing all year. Especially in my first week really being in the defense."
Cason was one of few bright spots on a defense that gave up a season high in points and allowed the Titans to erase a 17-point deficit in less than four minutes. And after Tennessee rallied to force overtime, it's easy to see how the Cardinals' sideline could have been panicked.
Cason credited cornerbacks coach Kevin Ross for preaching to the defense to be confident and trust itself while getting back to the technique that had helped it become one of the league's best units.
"That really helped me," Cason said.
"I'm thankful for the opportunity. It's great to see the coaches have confidence in me like I have the confidence in myself."
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!