John Abraham comes up big again for Arizona Cardinals in win
"It's my mom; she's going to blowing me up until she says something to me," he said. "She's proud of me."
She should be.
Abraham collected two sacks on the afternoon, the first of which came on Houston's first play from scrimmage, forcing a fumble that was returned for a six-yard touchdown by Matt Shaughnessy.
The sacks were Abraham's fourth and fifth of the season, all of which have come in the team's last three games. The active career leader in sacks with 127, the veteran has been a key contributor for one of the NFL's best defenses. He passed Kansas City Chiefs legend Derrick Thomas for 12th on the NFL's all-time list Sunday.
"When I came into the game if you would have told me I would have got this far I never would have believed it," he said. "I didn't know I was going to be in the league this long; I didn't know I was going to be able to get so high up the chart."
Abraham said he just wanted to play football and wasn't really one to pay attention to the stats, but now, at 35 and in his 14th NFL season, it's something he certainly keeps an eye on.
He got off to a slow start this season, but is definitely starting to come on strong. He attributes it to being healthy following a shoulder issue, saying if he looks like the "John we know" it's because he's finally able to be that guy.
"When you're playing through, not even an injury but just being hurt," he said. "Now being 100 percent healthy, I think it's showing up different on tape."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Free agent kicker Jay Feely announces he's re-signed with Arizona Cardinals
- NFL Draft '14: Six-round mock draft for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.