John Abraham comes up big again for Arizona Cardinals in win
"It's my mom; she's going to blowing me up until she says something to me," he said. "She's proud of me."
She should be.
Abraham collected two sacks on the afternoon, the first of which came on Houston's first play from scrimmage, forcing a fumble that was returned for a six-yard touchdown by Matt Shaughnessy.
The sacks were Abraham's fourth and fifth of the season, all of which have come in the team's last three games. The active career leader in sacks with 127, the veteran has been a key contributor for one of the NFL's best defenses. He passed Kansas City Chiefs legend Derrick Thomas for 12th on the NFL's all-time list Sunday.
"When I came into the game if you would have told me I would have got this far I never would have believed it," he said. "I didn't know I was going to be in the league this long; I didn't know I was going to be able to get so high up the chart."
Abraham said he just wanted to play football and wasn't really one to pay attention to the stats, but now, at 35 and in his 14th NFL season, it's something he certainly keeps an eye on.
He got off to a slow start this season, but is definitely starting to come on strong. He attributes it to being healthy following a shoulder issue, saying if he looks like the "John we know" it's because he's finally able to be that guy.
"When you're playing through, not even an injury but just being hurt," he said. "Now being 100 percent healthy, I think it's showing up different on tape."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- NFL writer: Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald 'bound to improve' in 2014
- GM Steve Keim updates Arizona Cardinals' draft progress
- NFL Draft '14: Is it time for the Arizona Cardinals to draft a QB?
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald to be honored for off-the-field work
- 2014 Arizona Cardinals draft stock tracker
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.