Seahawks coach Pete Carroll is fond of Larry Fitzgerald
In fact, Carroll is such a fan that he sent a video to the NFL following his team's win over the Cards in an effort to praise the way Fitzgerald plays the game.
According to Terry Blount of ESPN.com's Seahawks blog, Carroll appreciated a couple "big blocks" the receiver made.
"I sent in two plays that Larry had, plays that jumped off the game film," Carroll said Thursday. "I said something to Larry after the game [a 34-22 Seattle victory on Oct. 17] about those two decisions, perfectly illustrating the new mentality and the right mentality. With an iconic guy like that, I just thought it was really powerful."
Carroll was pointing to separate blocks made on cornerbacks Richard Sherman and Walter Thurmond. Each set up in a way where Fitzgerald could have hurt them, but he instead found a way to be effective without endangering his opponents.
"It's still a big hit," Carroll said. "But it could have been a colossal collision had he taken full advantage of the opportunity, and he didn't. His poise and his character demonstrated that he understands. That's really cool stuff and that's where the league is going. We can do this."
The point in sending the videos in, Carroll said, is to make a statement that if one of the most recognizable players in the league is capable of adjusting his game in the name of safety, then others should be able to as well.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!