Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu looking for winning homecoming
He was born there. He became a football star there.
However, some of the worst moments of life also happened in the state, including getting dismissed from his college football team prior to the 2012 season.
The Arizona Cardinals are heading to the Bayou to take on the New Orleans Saints, meaning this will be a homecoming of sorts for the team's third-round pick.
"It should be exciting," Mathieu said. "Family, friends, everybody gets to see you play, like those high school days."
Mathieu said it won't be nearly as much fun if his team doesn't win the game, which is the most important part of the trip. It's football only, meaning he's going to have to do his best to keep the many distractions that are sure to be present at bay. And, of course, any negative feelings, too, which is why the "Honey Badger" said he's going into the game with a positive mindset.
Cardinals coach Bruce Arians knows this game carries a little more with it for Mathieu than most, and he's shared some advice with the rookie.
"I know we've talked to him about distractions; he's basically going to play the football game and wave to everybody after the game," he said.
The 21-year-old, who has tallied 13 tackles along with one forced fumble this season, is fine with that. He just wants to show up, play well and leave with a win.
"Obviously I have a chance to play in front of my home town, but I also have a chance to get everybody back on my side," he said. "Those same people, when those negative things happened and said all those negative things about me.
"So like I said, I'm excited about it and hopefully all goes well."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b