Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu looking for winning homecoming
He was born there. He became a football star there.
However, some of the worst moments of life also happened in the state, including getting dismissed from his college football team prior to the 2012 season.
The Arizona Cardinals are heading to the Bayou to take on the New Orleans Saints, meaning this will be a homecoming of sorts for the team's third-round pick.
"It should be exciting," Mathieu said. "Family, friends, everybody gets to see you play, like those high school days."
Mathieu said it won't be nearly as much fun if his team doesn't win the game, which is the most important part of the trip. It's football only, meaning he's going to have to do his best to keep the many distractions that are sure to be present at bay. And, of course, any negative feelings, too, which is why the "Honey Badger" said he's going into the game with a positive mindset.
Cardinals coach Bruce Arians knows this game carries a little more with it for Mathieu than most, and he's shared some advice with the rookie.
"I know we've talked to him about distractions; he's basically going to play the football game and wave to everybody after the game," he said.
The 21-year-old, who has tallied 13 tackles along with one forced fumble this season, is fine with that. He just wants to show up, play well and leave with a win.
"Obviously I have a chance to play in front of my home town, but I also have a chance to get everybody back on my side," he said. "Those same people, when those negative things happened and said all those negative things about me.
"So like I said, I'm excited about it and hopefully all goes well."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Arizona Cardinals ranked 11th in Pro Football Talk's preseason power rankings
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?
- Kurt Warner- Former Cardinals QB - Wednesday June 18Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner talks about being inducted into the Ring of Honor.