Cardinals' Bruce Arians: 'Attention to detail on offense is very lacking'
In their 25-21 victory over the Detroit Lions, Arizona's offense was 1-of-11 on third downs and only scored one touchdown in four trips to the red zone.
Arians said both things need to be corrected in practice this week.
"It was third down when we were shooting ourselves in the foot and it's very correctable," Arians said. "It was a collective group thing on 1-for-11. Same thing down in the red zone. A couple of miscommunications, things we're still ironing out."
Though pass protection -- their biggest problem in a Week 1 loss to the St. Louis Rams -- was much improved Sunday, the offense still struggled to execute on critical passing situations. The Cardinals' only third down conversion came in the fourth quarter, and their only touchdown came on Rashard Mendenhall's one-yard, go-ahead score with 1:59 remaining in the contest.
Arians knows the offense can be better and emphasized a need for a higher level of focus going forward.
"Our attention to detail on offense is very lacking," Arians said. "A lot of coaches say the little things. There are no little things. Everything's a big thing. That attention to detail has to increase to be as good as we want to be on offense."
Although he was critical of the offense's overall focus, Arians did praise the play of quarterback Carson Palmer for the second straight week, focusing on the 31-year-old's leadership following his interception.
"The young guys all gravitated around him," Arians said. "He set the best example and sent the best signals."
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up