Arizona Cardinals receivers making Bruce Arians' decision a tough one
After four preseason games, that question remains -- and it's not for a lack of qualified candidates.
"That's going to be the toughest one right now," head coach Bruce Arians told Paul Calvisi and Bertrand Berry on the Arizona Cardinals Radio Network. "Special teams will tell the tale of the tape on that."
There are four candidates vying for two or three spots, and all of them have made an impression in the preseason.
Jaron Brown, an undrafted rookie from Clemson, caught 11 passes for 145 yards and two touchdowns, including a 55-yard strike from Ryan Lindley in Thursday's 32-24 win over the Denver Broncos.
Also in the mix are veteran Mike Thomas, who signed during camp after getting cut by Detroit, undrafted rookie Charles Hawkins and former ASU receiver Kerry Taylor.
"Jaron Brown had made a nice couple plays, he's played extremely well the whole preseason on special teams," Arians said. "Mike Thomas is stepping in and making plays, Kerry Taylor makes plays -- it's going to be a tough decision at wideout."
All four candidates have played numerous snaps on special teams in the preseason.
Arians said he feels that 48 spots on the roster are locked up, but it's the last handful that he, his coaching staff and general manager Steve Keim will deliberate on before the roster is trimmed Friday afternoon.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.