Fight to make Arizona Cardinals' roster enters its final round
Teams must reduce rosters to a league-mandated 53 players by 3:00 p.m. MST Saturday, giving many one final audition to showcase their skills.
"I approach it like any other game," wide receiver Jaron Brown said of the Cardinals' preseason finale at Denver Thursday. "I'm just trying to go out there and be the best receiver I can be, a complete receiver and just have a complete game."
Receiver, tight end, cornerback, safety as well as the offensive line were the positions head coach Bruce Arians identified as having yet to be solidified.
"There's about four or five spots that are up for grabs still," he said Tuesday.
Now while this one last game likely won't be the determining factor in a player's fate, it will be added to what Arians has often referred to as a player's résumé: How well they play, how well they practice, how well they study in meetings.
"I don't necessarily feel like I am fighting (for a roster spot)," cornerback Bryan McCann said. "I understand what's at stake, but I can't go out there and try and be some player that I'm not. I got to do what I can do. If it's good enough to be here, then I will be; and if not, then I won't."
And even if a player does survive Saturday, that may not mean they have survived the weekend. Once those final cuts are made, teams will begin to scan the waiver wire.
"That's the other thing that we can't put into account because you don't know who's going to be on it," Arians said. "That's always a tough decision to grab somebody that hasn't been with you over somebody who has been. There will be two or three guys and I'll say, ‘Look, you're here. It could be a practice squad spot by Thursday.'"
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Free agent kicker Jay Feely announces he's re-signed with Arizona Cardinals
- NFL Draft '14: Six-round mock draft for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.