Arizona Cardinals coach Arians: Jonathan Cooper could return this season
"I think 10 would be stretching it, but 12 weeks would potentially give him six games (this season)," the coach told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta Monday.
The team's first-round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, Cooper was penciled in to be the team's starting left guard this season. Veteran Daryn Colledge, who battled an injury early in camp but was to play right guard, will move into Cooper's spot, and Paul Fanaika will move into Colledge's.
"Daryn Colledge's injury was a blessing now, because we got to look at Paul and we're convinced Paul can win," Arians said. "And then that competition made Daryn better when he got back. Now, we know Daryn can play left guard, and Daryn knows he can play left guard...that part shouldn't be a problem."
Arians' faith stems from the depth the team built in the offseason and is continuing to build. But, while the coach said you don't like to see that depth tested via injury, he believes his offensive line can withstand losing Cooper for an extended period of time.
"We feel very comfortable where we're at right now," he said.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.