New Arizona Cardinal Javier Arenas not lacking confidence
So, when the Kansas City Chiefs went and acquired new defensive backs in the offseason, the former second round pick said he told the organization he understood what they were doing, but wasn't planning on losing his starting job.
So they traded him to Arizona for fullback Anthony Sherman.
"I didn't necessarily ask for a trade," Arenas told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday.
Arenas said he let the Chiefs know how he felt, and that he believed he was a better player than those who were brought in to replace him.
Now Arenas is one of many new faces on the Arizona Cardinals roster, joining a handful of players competing for key spots in the team's secondary.
"I feel like I've been great," Arenas said of his performance in camp thus far. "Of course, there are areas I can improve in, but I feel like I've been great."
Though he may not exactly be a household name, it is not as if Arenas is an unknown entity. He's played in 47 games over the last three seasons -- including 12 starts -- and has picked off a pair of passes while tallying four quarterback sacks.
Also effective in the kick return game, Arenas' versatility -- and confidence -- will go a long way toward helping him make the 53-man roster. He isn't saying he's been dominant, but he believes he's done well since donning Cardinal Red and will continue to improve.
"I'm in the midst of becoming a great NFL player right now," he said. "And this is it right here, earning this position, earning these spots over here."
A star at Alabama, the 5-foot-9, 197-pound player conceded has not arrived as a top-flight cornerback. Yet.
"I know me, I know what type of player I am, I know what I'm capable of," he said. "And I know the best positions for me to excel in, but right now I feel like I'm not at my best.
"But I'm getting there."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.