NFL writer: Arizona Cardinals should treat Carson Palmer like Kurt Warner
"Obviously the quarterback situation last year was, how do I put this, bad," he told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta.
However, Farrar has some concern over how Palmer will fit in the offense, as head coach Bruce Arians has found the most success with quarterbacks who are mobile enough to avoid the rush and buy time for deep routes to develop.
That is not the 33-year-old Palmer, who was never much of a runner early in his career and certainly isn't one now.
Farrar added that the trick will be Arians using Palmer in a similar way to how former Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt used Kurt Warner, and that's with shorter drops and quicker passes.
"It was, 'Yes, we understand our offensive line stinks, but we have a great quarterback, we have Larry Fitzgerald, let's go.'"
While no one is saying Palmer and Warner have the same skill set or talent level, that doesn't mean what worked before won't work again.
"If Arians adapts to what Palmer can and can't do I think they'll be OK," Farrar said. "I mean, he threw for over 4,000 yards last year with the Raiders for God's sake, so he has something left in the tank."
How much Palmer has left will go a long way toward determining just how successful the 2013 Cardinals are. But at the very least, it's safe to say they'll be better at the quarterback position.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.