NFL writer: Arizona Cardinals should treat Carson Palmer like Kurt Warner
"Obviously the quarterback situation last year was, how do I put this, bad," he told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta.
However, Farrar has some concern over how Palmer will fit in the offense, as head coach Bruce Arians has found the most success with quarterbacks who are mobile enough to avoid the rush and buy time for deep routes to develop.
That is not the 33-year-old Palmer, who was never much of a runner early in his career and certainly isn't one now.
Farrar added that the trick will be Arians using Palmer in a similar way to how former Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt used Kurt Warner, and that's with shorter drops and quicker passes.
"It was, 'Yes, we understand our offensive line stinks, but we have a great quarterback, we have Larry Fitzgerald, let's go.'"
While no one is saying Palmer and Warner have the same skill set or talent level, that doesn't mean what worked before won't work again.
"If Arians adapts to what Palmer can and can't do I think they'll be OK," Farrar said. "I mean, he threw for over 4,000 yards last year with the Raiders for God's sake, so he has something left in the tank."
How much Palmer has left will go a long way toward determining just how successful the 2013 Cardinals are. But at the very least, it's safe to say they'll be better at the quarterback position.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.