NFL writer: Arizona Cardinals should treat Carson Palmer like Kurt Warner
"Obviously the quarterback situation last year was, how do I put this, bad," he told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta.
However, Farrar has some concern over how Palmer will fit in the offense, as head coach Bruce Arians has found the most success with quarterbacks who are mobile enough to avoid the rush and buy time for deep routes to develop.
That is not the 33-year-old Palmer, who was never much of a runner early in his career and certainly isn't one now.
Farrar added that the trick will be Arians using Palmer in a similar way to how former Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt used Kurt Warner, and that's with shorter drops and quicker passes.
"It was, 'Yes, we understand our offensive line stinks, but we have a great quarterback, we have Larry Fitzgerald, let's go.'"
While no one is saying Palmer and Warner have the same skill set or talent level, that doesn't mean what worked before won't work again.
"If Arians adapts to what Palmer can and can't do I think they'll be OK," Farrar said. "I mean, he threw for over 4,000 yards last year with the Raiders for God's sake, so he has something left in the tank."
How much Palmer has left will go a long way toward determining just how successful the 2013 Cardinals are. But at the very least, it's safe to say they'll be better at the quarterback position.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Arizona Cardinals 2014 Free Agent Headquarters
- Arizona Cardinals sign free agent tight end John Carlson
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!