New Arizona Cardinal Eric Winston welcomes training camp competition
Sure, he parlayed his freedom into a four-year, $22 million contract with the Kansas City Chiefs last year, but the team cut him after just one season and he was left looking for work.
And looking...and looking...and looking.
Then, on the eve of training camp, Winston and the Arizona Cardinals agreed to a one-year contract.
His "odyssey" over, Winston told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta show there was disappointment over not having a team offer him what he felt he was worth in a timely manner.
"I think after that first couple weeks where you know that's not going to happen, you want to go somewhere where you feel like you've got a good fit and you feel like you're wanted and you've got a good repertoire with the coaches.
"This felt right here."
Winston comes to the Cardinals with 103 career starts under his belt as well as a reputation for being a very good lineman. He is joining a team that could certainly use improved play along the offensive line, and there's a good chance he'll find his way into the starting lineup sooner rather than later.
But he's still got to earn it, though the idea of fighting for a job with teammates is not something that concerns him.
"It's one of those deals where I think you've just got to be professional," he said, adding that it's part of the job and with so many linemen in camp there will be plenty of competition.
"It's a little bit about you right now where you're trying to earn your spot, but at the same time it's also about the team and I think the team's going to benefit from the best five guys being on the field."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.