New Arizona Cardinal Eric Winston welcomes training camp competition
Sure, he parlayed his freedom into a four-year, $22 million contract with the Kansas City Chiefs last year, but the team cut him after just one season and he was left looking for work.
And looking...and looking...and looking.
Then, on the eve of training camp, Winston and the Arizona Cardinals agreed to a one-year contract.
His "odyssey" over, Winston told Arizona Sports 620's Bickley with Marotta show there was disappointment over not having a team offer him what he felt he was worth in a timely manner.
"I think after that first couple weeks where you know that's not going to happen, you want to go somewhere where you feel like you've got a good fit and you feel like you're wanted and you've got a good repertoire with the coaches.
"This felt right here."
Winston comes to the Cardinals with 103 career starts under his belt as well as a reputation for being a very good lineman. He is joining a team that could certainly use improved play along the offensive line, and there's a good chance he'll find his way into the starting lineup sooner rather than later.
But he's still got to earn it, though the idea of fighting for a job with teammates is not something that concerns him.
"It's one of those deals where I think you've just got to be professional," he said, adding that it's part of the job and with so many linemen in camp there will be plenty of competition.
"It's a little bit about you right now where you're trying to earn your spot, but at the same time it's also about the team and I think the team's going to benefit from the best five guys being on the field."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.