Good additions, but what do they mean?
Abraham is a nice complimentary piece. At 35, I have no idea how much tread is left on the tires, but as long as the contract is reasonable it's worth a shot to see if he can make an impact in a scheme different than what he's used to. He had 10 sacks and six forced fumbles last year so it's worth a look.
But it is just a complimentary move.
Winston is a different deal. He's 29. He's started every game since 2007. He is there to take somebody's job; it's not a depth signing and it's not as a role player. He is there to start.
The question is, whose job is in jeopardy? Levi Brown? Bobby Massie (doesn't seem likely but I'll throw it out there)? Daryn Colledge (if Brown is moved to right guard)? Some other move that I can't envision?
I'm not sure and perhaps it will take a couple of weeks of camp for the answer to those questions.
But there is no question the shrewd offseason for Steve Keim and company has continued right up to the preseason with these moves. It's too bad it may not get the praise it deserves when you share a division with the Seahawks and 49ers.
Dave Burns, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Forbes: Arizona Cardinals are NFL's 25th-most valuable team
- Larry Fitzgerald taking things on a year-to-year basis, not worried about future with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.