Good additions, but what do they mean?
Abraham is a nice complimentary piece. At 35, I have no idea how much tread is left on the tires, but as long as the contract is reasonable it's worth a shot to see if he can make an impact in a scheme different than what he's used to. He had 10 sacks and six forced fumbles last year so it's worth a look.
But it is just a complimentary move.
Winston is a different deal. He's 29. He's started every game since 2007. He is there to take somebody's job; it's not a depth signing and it's not as a role player. He is there to start.
The question is, whose job is in jeopardy? Levi Brown? Bobby Massie (doesn't seem likely but I'll throw it out there)? Daryn Colledge (if Brown is moved to right guard)? Some other move that I can't envision?
I'm not sure and perhaps it will take a couple of weeks of camp for the answer to those questions.
But there is no question the shrewd offseason for Steve Keim and company has continued right up to the preseason with these moves. It's too bad it may not get the praise it deserves when you share a division with the Seahawks and 49ers.
Dave Burns, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.