Good additions, but what do they mean?
Abraham is a nice complimentary piece. At 35, I have no idea how much tread is left on the tires, but as long as the contract is reasonable it's worth a shot to see if he can make an impact in a scheme different than what he's used to. He had 10 sacks and six forced fumbles last year so it's worth a look.
But it is just a complimentary move.
Winston is a different deal. He's 29. He's started every game since 2007. He is there to take somebody's job; it's not a depth signing and it's not as a role player. He is there to start.
The question is, whose job is in jeopardy? Levi Brown? Bobby Massie (doesn't seem likely but I'll throw it out there)? Daryn Colledge (if Brown is moved to right guard)? Some other move that I can't envision?
I'm not sure and perhaps it will take a couple of weeks of camp for the answer to those questions.
But there is no question the shrewd offseason for Steve Keim and company has continued right up to the preseason with these moves. It's too bad it may not get the praise it deserves when you share a division with the Seahawks and 49ers.
Dave Burns, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker John Abraham's three-sack day puts him in historic company
- Larry Fitzgerald's big day leads Arizona Cardinals to win over St. Louis Rams
- Karlos Dansby continues happy homecoming with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' quarterback Carson Palmer shines in win over St. Louis Rams
- Arizona Cardinals fear Tyrann Mathieu suffered ACL injury in win over Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?