Good additions, but what do they mean?
Abraham is a nice complimentary piece. At 35, I have no idea how much tread is left on the tires, but as long as the contract is reasonable it's worth a shot to see if he can make an impact in a scheme different than what he's used to. He had 10 sacks and six forced fumbles last year so it's worth a look.
But it is just a complimentary move.
Winston is a different deal. He's 29. He's started every game since 2007. He is there to take somebody's job; it's not a depth signing and it's not as a role player. He is there to start.
The question is, whose job is in jeopardy? Levi Brown? Bobby Massie (doesn't seem likely but I'll throw it out there)? Daryn Colledge (if Brown is moved to right guard)? Some other move that I can't envision?
I'm not sure and perhaps it will take a couple of weeks of camp for the answer to those questions.
But there is no question the shrewd offseason for Steve Keim and company has continued right up to the preseason with these moves. It's too bad it may not get the praise it deserves when you share a division with the Seahawks and 49ers.
Dave Burns, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Report says Andre Roberts agrees to deal with Redskins
- Free agent kicker Jay Feely announces he's re-signed with Arizona Cardinals
- NFL Draft '14: Six-round mock draft for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?