Updated May 9, 2013 - 5:08 pm
Cardinals' Kevin Minter looking forward to being a leader
His selection on draft night was overshadowed by Tyrann Mathieu, who was taken 24 spots after the Arizona Cardinals made Minter the 45th overall pick.
And on Thursday, Minter found himself as Act Two. His introductory press conference followed his former LSU teammate's meeting with the media.
"It is what it is," Minter said. "Even though I was obviously picked before him, the guy was a playmaker. He did a lot for us that national championship year. I'm just excited to have him on the team with me again."
Minter doesn't seem to mind the spotlight eluding him.
He might not be so lucky later this summer.
Given the uncertain status of starting inside linebacker Daryl Washington, the Cardinals may look for their second round pick to play a large role right away.
"One of my best attributes that everybody talks about is me being able to get the playbook fast," Minter said. "I'm going to get it. I'm used to making the calls. I'm used to being the leader out there."
In his final season at LSU, Minter registered a team-high 130 tackles, was named team MVP and was one of three finalists for the Butkus Award as the nation's top linebacker.
"I've got to assert myself," he said of trying to become a leader despite his rookie status. "I'm the middle linebacker. I'm the quarterback of that defense. I've got to make my presence felt. I feel like I'm going to do that in these coming weeks."
It starts Friday when the Cardinals open a three-day rookie minicamp at their training facility in Tempe.
"I feel like I'm a pretty intense player. I probably don't seem that way in this press conference," Minter said, eliciting laughs.
"I'm very passionate when I'm on the field. I play every down hard and I try to get the best out of all my teammates. I feel like I'm a great leader. I'm not necessarily a hoorah-type of guy. I'm more of a speak softly; carry a big stick type of dude. You all will see when the season starts."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald excited about team's offensive additions
- Larry Fitzgerald celebrity softball game this Saturday
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- Arizona Cardinals' Terry McDonough: Emotion not a good tool for evaluating draft talent
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?