Updated May 1, 2013 - 6:45 am
Carson Palmer a big fan of Cardinals' draft, offensive playbook
"Any time you pick an offensive guy in the first couple rounds, I'm greedy I always want more offensive weapons, and we've got some exciting ones coming in," Palmer told the NFL Network Tuesday.
While the selection of Cooper was by no means considered a sexy pick, for a team that allowed a league-high 58 quarterback sacks in 2012 it was certainly the safe choice.
Palmer was asked if he had any concerns about a lack of pass protection following his trade to the Cardinals, but the two-time Pro Bowler said he thought the offensive line's woes had more to do with health than an absence of talent.
"It's something you hear about," said Palmer. "But, every year is a new year. You look at last year, and they had catastrophic injuries all the way across the board. They lost their anchor in Levi Brown in the first week of preseason, and guys just had freak injuries all the way across the board.
"Four of the five guys were hurt, and they've all battled back to get healthy. Obviously, with the addition of Jonathan (Cooper) and a couple other guys in the draft, we're looking to turn that around and improve in that category."
Palmer, who threw 35 touchdowns and 30 interceptions in two seasons with the Oakland Raiders, hasn't even been in the Valley for a month yet, but already he admitted he's ecstatic to be leading Bruce Arians' offense.
For a quarterback who has never been shy about slinging the football down field, the former Heisman Trophy winner believes the Cardinals' playbook is perfectly suited for his skill set.
"I love (the offense)," said Palmer. "I've been a fan of (Bruce Arians') offenses for years. I've played against them and seen them on film a ton. Not only are the plays in the playbook great, but he has great timing. He sets up and gets mismatches, gets bigger, faster guys on slower guys and finds ways to get the ball to guys like Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd.
"I'm a big fan, I've been a big fan of it. Now to be in this offense and have him calling the plays is very exciting for me."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.