Updated Apr 28, 2013 - 7:21 am
ESPN analyst: Mathieu not worth the risk, poor teammate
Following general manager Steve Keim's decision to take the former Heisman Trophy finalist with the No. 69 pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, not everyone was excited by the Cardinals' "calculated risk."
ESPN analyst Bill Polian, a former NFL executive with the Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers and Indianapolis Colts, was asked what he thought of the Cardinals' selection Friday night, and he didn't exactly hold back.
"In a word, no," Polian said when asked if Mathieu was worth the risk. "This is a nickelback and a return man who has a deficiency covering man-to-man, who is speed deficient. On top of that, he's proven to be irresponsible and continues in my mind to show some degree of irresponsibility.
"That makes him a poor teammate and a poor risk. I don't know why you'd want him at any price, but if you were going to take a chance on him it certainly wouldn't be tonight."
When asked if he would have taken a chance on Mathieu during the draft's final few rounds were he still an executive in the league, Polian once again was definitive.
"We would have taken him off the board," said Polian. "Based on our philosophy, we didn't want a player of this level of irresponsibility and this level of disrespect for his teammates and his team."
Well, it doesn't look like Keim and Polian will see eye-to-eye on this one.
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.