Updated Apr 28, 2013 - 7:21 am
ESPN analyst: Mathieu not worth the risk, poor teammate
Following general manager Steve Keim's decision to take the former Heisman Trophy finalist with the No. 69 pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, not everyone was excited by the Cardinals' "calculated risk."
ESPN analyst Bill Polian, a former NFL executive with the Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers and Indianapolis Colts, was asked what he thought of the Cardinals' selection Friday night, and he didn't exactly hold back.
"In a word, no," Polian said when asked if Mathieu was worth the risk. "This is a nickelback and a return man who has a deficiency covering man-to-man, who is speed deficient. On top of that, he's proven to be irresponsible and continues in my mind to show some degree of irresponsibility.
"That makes him a poor teammate and a poor risk. I don't know why you'd want him at any price, but if you were going to take a chance on him it certainly wouldn't be tonight."
When asked if he would have taken a chance on Mathieu during the draft's final few rounds were he still an executive in the league, Polian once again was definitive.
"We would have taken him off the board," said Polian. "Based on our philosophy, we didn't want a player of this level of irresponsibility and this level of disrespect for his teammates and his team."
Well, it doesn't look like Keim and Polian will see eye-to-eye on this one.
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Arizona Cardinals 2014 Free Agent Headquarters
- Arizona Cardinals sign free agent tight end John Carlson
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!