Updated Apr 26, 2013 - 6:23 pm
Cardinals select Tyrann Mathieu with third round pick
At No. 45, the team chose to add to their defense with the choice of LSU inside linebacker Kevin Minter.
And at No. 69, Arizona decided to look again to the defense, with the selection of Tyrann Mathieu.
An emotional Mathieu told ESPN, "I'm proud to be an Arizona Cardinal" shortly after being selected.
Known as "the Honey Badger," Mathieu is an electrifying defensive back who has had some off the field troubles.
As he told ESPN, that should not be a problem going forward.
Tyrann Mathieu just said on air that he has agreed to take a weekly drug test with the Cardinals— Chris Mortensen (@mortreport) April 27, 2013
Mathieu, who stands in at 5-foot-9 and 186-pounds, won the 2011 Bednarik Award, which is given to the nation's best defender, and was a first-team All-SEC selection, too. However, he was dismissed from the LSU team in August 2012 after violating multiple team rules, and has been working to find his way into the NFL ever since.
Mathieu is a former LSU teammate of Cardinals second round pick Kevin Minter as well as current Cardinal defensive back Patrick Peterson, the latter of whom was working out with the player over the last few months.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.