Updated Apr 26, 2013 - 6:23 pm
Cardinals select Tyrann Mathieu with third round pick
At No. 45, the team chose to add to their defense with the choice of LSU inside linebacker Kevin Minter.
And at No. 69, Arizona decided to look again to the defense, with the selection of Tyrann Mathieu.
An emotional Mathieu told ESPN, "I'm proud to be an Arizona Cardinal" shortly after being selected.
Known as "the Honey Badger," Mathieu is an electrifying defensive back who has had some off the field troubles.
As he told ESPN, that should not be a problem going forward.
Tyrann Mathieu just said on air that he has agreed to take a weekly drug test with the Cardinals— Chris Mortensen (@mortreport) April 27, 2013
Mathieu, who stands in at 5-foot-9 and 186-pounds, won the 2011 Bednarik Award, which is given to the nation's best defender, and was a first-team All-SEC selection, too. However, he was dismissed from the LSU team in August 2012 after violating multiple team rules, and has been working to find his way into the NFL ever since.
Mathieu is a former LSU teammate of Cardinals second round pick Kevin Minter as well as current Cardinal defensive back Patrick Peterson, the latter of whom was working out with the player over the last few months.
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.