Updated Mar 15, 2013 - 9:07 am
Arizona Cardinals release QB Kevin Kolb
In March of 2013, the search for that franchise signal caller continues.
The Cardinals announced Friday they have cut the quarterback, whose time in the Valley ends after a disappointing two seasons.
Reports circulated Friday that Kolb had rejected the Cardinals' contract restructuring.
By releasing Kolb, the Cardinals will save $7.5 million against the 2013 salary cap, which is set at $123 million.
Acquired by the team from Philadelphia for cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second round pick in August 2011, Kolb was expected to become the team's solution at quarterback.
Since entering Week 1 in relief of an injured John Skelton, Kolb had completed 59.6 percent of his passes and thrown for 1,169 yards. He tossed eight touchdown passes against just three interceptions and, perhaps most important, had led the Cardinals to a 4-1 record.
Then Kolb suffered shoulder and rib injuries in a Week 6 loss to the Buffalo Bills, maladies he was unable to recover from. And now, the Kolb era in Arizona has come to an end.
Instead, injuries and ineffectiveness plagued the signal caller over the course of his time in Arizona, and with a $2 million roster bonus along with a $9 million salary on the way this season, and after adding free agent quarterback Drew Stanton, the franchise decided it best to part ways.
Kolb leaves Arizona having played in just 15 games for the Cardinals -- including 14 starts. He threw for 3,124 yards with 17 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!