Updated Mar 8, 2013 - 12:17 pm
Adrian Wilson changed the Arizona Cardinals
In that time they have had 225 draft picks, but none more important than the third round pick they used in 2001 on a safety out of North Carolina State named Adrian Wilson.
At the time, the Cardinals were coming off of a 3-13 season and had put up just one winning season in their time in the desert. They were easily considered one of the worst organizations in professional sports.
Wilson could have easily bid his time in Arizona, accepted all the losing, and bid Arizona farewell when his rookie contract ended. But he wasn't wired that way. He wanted to win and he wanted to win here.
Wilson believed he could change the perception of this organization, and he did. Not singlehandedly, he had plenty of help from future draft picks like Darnell Dockett, Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald, Karlos Dansby, Antrel Rolle and a few others. But Wilson was here first.
He had the greatest impact. He was the leader when those other players got here and because he was OK being here, they were OK being here. They changed the culture, they changed the perception, they changed the mentality. And in a five-year span from 2007-11, the Arizona Cardinals had only one losing season.
Many had a hand in making the Arizona Cardinals relevant, but none more so than #24.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Arizona Cardinals RB Stepfan Taylor 'expecting more of a role' in 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: Carson Chats - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals rookie John Brown continues to impress while ignoring the hype
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b