Updated Feb 27, 2013 - 8:44 am
Report: Cardinals to express interest in Alex Smith
That's apparently what they want to find out.
According to NFL.com insider Ian Rapoport, the team "will express interest in a possible trade" for San Francisco 49ers QB Alex Smith. However, as Rapoport notes, the Cardinals are "VERY pessimistic" that the 49ers will trade with a division rival.
They have good reason to be, as out of the 25 trades made in 2012, not one was between division rivals.
Smith, who was supplanted by Colin Kaepernick during the 2012 season, has been a rumored trade candidate ever since. A 28-year-old who really came into his own the last two seasons, Smith completed better than 70 percent of his passes for 1,737 yards and 13 touchdowns last season while being intercepted just five times. He had a QB rating of 104.1.
His best game was against the Cardinals in Glendale, when he completed 18-of-19 passes for 232 yards and three touchdowns in a 24-3 Monday night win.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.