Updated Feb 25, 2013 - 6:52 pm
NFL Draft: When it comes to reports, trust no one
I love the combine but I hate the fact that it kicks off the most volatile dispensation of the league year. Information is the currency of talk radio. We sell, barter and trade information and listeners purchase that information by listening. But when it comes to sources -- whether anonymous or those close to the situation -- and other reports, I believe very few of them.
Like the report that says Matt Barkley blew away the Arizona Cardinals during the interview process. I believe it's misinformation; somebody got the report wrong or talked to a minion that was blown away but didn't hear it from the man's mouth.
Why would a person in authority tell anybody what he's thinking? Why should I work so hard at evaluating a player, spend so much time and money and resources to determine the value of a prospect, and then tell you what I believe about that kid one way or the other?
I can use it as a smokescreen, where the other team doesn't know whether I'm being sincere or not. And this is why the NFL Combine and the weeks leading up to the draft is the most unsettling time of the league year. The great Dance of Deception has begun in earnest.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- CBS Sports' Prisco: Re-signing Karlos Dansby not imperative for Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals re-sign NT Alameda Ta'amu
- Arizona Cardinals hire former Olympic runner Roger Kingdom as assistant trainer
- Jay Feely sounds off on proposed extra point changes
- Kicker Jay Feely wants to be back with Arizona Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!