Updated Jan 29, 2013 - 3:09 pm
NFL writer thinks Rashard Mendenhall could fit in Arizona
Those questions have to do with the running back position. Beanie Wells had an entirely forgettable 2012 season, running for only 234 yards on 88 carries while battling injuries throughout the campaign.
Second-year running back Ryan Williams suffered a shoulder injury early in the season and was limited to just 58 carries.
In other words, the Cardinals, who finished last in the league in rushing in 2012, need help at the position.
Evan Silva, an NFL editor for Rotoworld and writer for NBC Sports, tweeted out a possible solution earlier this week.
New #Cardinals HC Bruce Arians once compared Rashard Mendenhall to Edgerrin James. Arizona would be sensible landing spot for Mendenhall.— Evan Silva (@evansilva) January 28, 2013
Mendenhall has spent his entire five-year NFL career with the Pittsburgh Steelers after being a first round draft pick out of Illinois in 2008.
But he too has been plagued by injuries during his career. His rookie season was cut short by a shoulder injury suffered in a Week 4 game against the Baltimore Ravens.
Mendenhall also suffered a torn right ACL in the season finale against the Cleveland Browns in 2011 -- an injury that spilled over to 2012 and held him to just 182 yards rushing on 51 carries.
The 5-foot-10, 225-pound back also was suspended by the Steelers for not showing up to a game against the San Diego Chargers December 9.
Mendenhall is a free agent and isn't expected to re-sign with the Steelers. He's played under Arians, who was Pittsburgh's offensive coordinator for the first four years of his career.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals coach Arians: Logan Thomas as expected, has 'a good future'
- Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians confirms James Harrison interest
- Arizona Cardinals coach Arians on Tyrann Mathieu's progress: 'We'll see how he tackles'
- Report: Bengals cornerback fined for hit on Arizona Cardinals' Ted Ginn
- Arizona Cardinals preseason: By The Numbers
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.