Updated Jan 17, 2013 - 12:22 pm
Ken Whisenhunt headed to San Diego
Former Cardinals HC Ken Whisenhunt will become offensive coordinator for the San Diego Chargers.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) January 17, 2013
Whisenhunt was considered for several head coaching openings, including San Diego's, but the Chargers opted to hire Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy for the post.
Whisenhunt spent six season as head coach in Arizona, leading the team to their only Super Bowl appearance following the 2008 season. With a record of 45-51, he is the winningest coach in Cardinals history.
Before becoming Arizona's head coach, Whisenhunt spent two seasons as the Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator, helping the team to a victory over the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XL.
He takes over a San Diego offense that ranked 31st in total offense (297.3 yards per game) in 2012. The only team that finished lower than the Chargers was Arizona (263.1 yards per game).
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- All-Access with Arians: Running game is fine, defense is better than last year
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.