Updated Jan 17, 2013 - 12:22 pm
Ken Whisenhunt headed to San Diego
Former Cardinals HC Ken Whisenhunt will become offensive coordinator for the San Diego Chargers.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) January 17, 2013
Whisenhunt was considered for several head coaching openings, including San Diego's, but the Chargers opted to hire Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy for the post.
Whisenhunt spent six season as head coach in Arizona, leading the team to their only Super Bowl appearance following the 2008 season. With a record of 45-51, he is the winningest coach in Cardinals history.
Before becoming Arizona's head coach, Whisenhunt spent two seasons as the Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator, helping the team to a victory over the Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XL.
He takes over a San Diego offense that ranked 31st in total offense (297.3 yards per game) in 2012. The only team that finished lower than the Chargers was Arizona (263.1 yards per game).
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?