ESPN insider thinks Jay Gruden will be Arizona Cardinals new head coach
The Arizona Cardinals are one of only two teams who are still looking for a new head coach. But they do appear to be taking steps forward.
Team brass interviewed Seattle Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell on Wednesday and are tentatively set to meet with Indianapolis Colts OC Bruce Arians on Thursday.
ESPN insider John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Wednesday which coaching options could still be viable for the Cardinals.
"When you look at what's there for the Arizona Cardinals they still can maybe get a Bruce Arians, they can still maybe get a Jay Gruden," Clayton said. "I don't know where it stands with Todd Haley but you don't get good vibes about that."
Clayton does think there is a frontrunner for the Cardinals coaching vacancy -- and it's a guy who has already been interviewed.
"I still think in the end it's going to be Jay Gruden," Clayton said. "I can't see Bruce Arians wanting to just get a head coaching job. I mean this guy; he's got a great situation. Why leave Andrew Luck? He's that good." Clayton believes Arians will get plenty of offers next offseason and has no reason to rush into a situation -- particularly if it ends up being a poor fit.
"If you're attached to Andrew Luck and you are as good as coach as [Arians] is why leave him? You'll get offers next year," Clayton said.
Even if the Cardinals made Arians an offer, Clayton is not convinced he will accept.
"If you don't feel comfortable with the coaches that you can work with, you can pick and choose," Clayton explained. "I would not doubt that [Arians] can get that offer but also too what I would question is whether he would take it if he can't have everything that he wants."
Clayton believes the Cardinals' unsettled quarterback situation has cost them many potential candidates.
"It's still a perception that you're judged on what quarterbacks you have. If it didn't work out with Kevin Kolb, which it hasn't worked out with the other quarterbacks, you're going to be down the list," Clayton said.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.