ESPN: Reid, Chiefs 'on verge of a deal'
Originally published: Jan 3, 2013 - 8:37 am
Arizona Cardinals coaching candidate Andy Reid is on the verge of a deal with the Kansas City Chiefs according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter.
Mortensen spoke with Mike & Mike on Arizona Sports 620 Thursday and discussed how the nine-hour meeting between Reid and the Chiefs went.
"The Chiefs were trying to close the deal with Andy Reid [on Wednesday]," Mortensen said. "At this point I'm going to be surprised if Andy Reid isn't the Chiefs coach. Now, I've been surprised before, but there is a lot of activity there.
"Someone would say, 'why Kansas City over Arizona?', well one thing is in Kansas City, Clark Hunt the owner of the Chiefs, will let Andy build this thing how he wants it."
The Chiefs' general manager is Scott Pioli.
Mortensen went on to say that Arizona has "more clutter" than Kansas City and that he believes the Chiefs, who have interviewed at least three coaches, will be the first domino to fall of all the open coaching positions.
Reid was originally scheduled to fly to Arizona after his meeting with Kansas City and interview with the Cardinals on Thursday.
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Despite interest from Cardinals, linebacker James Harrison retires
- Arizona Cardinals coach Arians: Logan Thomas as expected, has 'a good future'
- Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians confirms James Harrison interest
- Arizona Cardinals coach Arians on Tyrann Mathieu's progress: 'We'll see how he tackles'
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.