ESPN: Reid, Chiefs 'on verge of a deal'
Originally published: Jan 3, 2013 - 8:37 am
Arizona Cardinals coaching candidate Andy Reid is on the verge of a deal with the Kansas City Chiefs according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter.
Mortensen spoke with Mike & Mike on Arizona Sports 620 Thursday and discussed how the nine-hour meeting between Reid and the Chiefs went.
"The Chiefs were trying to close the deal with Andy Reid [on Wednesday]," Mortensen said. "At this point I'm going to be surprised if Andy Reid isn't the Chiefs coach. Now, I've been surprised before, but there is a lot of activity there.
"Someone would say, 'why Kansas City over Arizona?', well one thing is in Kansas City, Clark Hunt the owner of the Chiefs, will let Andy build this thing how he wants it."
The Chiefs' general manager is Scott Pioli.
Mortensen went on to say that Arizona has "more clutter" than Kansas City and that he believes the Chiefs, who have interviewed at least three coaches, will be the first domino to fall of all the open coaching positions.
Reid was originally scheduled to fly to Arizona after his meeting with Kansas City and interview with the Cardinals on Thursday.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.