Updated Jan 2, 2013 - 9:57 am
Are Cardinals getting used by Andy Reid? Maybe
The deposed Philadelphia Eagles coach is arguably the highest-profile name on the market right now, and he would seem like a great fit for the Cardinals.
Career winning record? Check.
Ability to put together a good coaching staff? Check.
Name recognition for fans? Check.
Ability to coach quarterbacks? Not only a check, but maybe the biggest selling point for a Reid/Cardinals marriage.
However, as the day wore on reports went from Reid being almost certain to join the Cardinals to simply setting up an interview later in the week, and then word leaked out the coach was set to interview with the Kansas City Chiefs about their job opening before the Cards get a chance to talk with him.
Also, if you know agent Bob Lamonte's MO (reps Reid, Gruden, Holmgren), it sure looks like #Cardinals are the ones getting used.— Jason Cole (@JasonColeYahoo) January 2, 2013
A Yahoo! Sports NFL insider, Cole's suggestion is as interesting as it is disturbing. Could Reid be playing the Cardinals in an effort to get a better deal somewhere else? Maybe he has little interest in the Cardinals or his former QB Kevin Kolb, and would rather start fresh with the team that currently holds the top pick in the 2013 draft.
It would not be the first time the Cardinals were used as leverage for someone to head to Kansas City, as Vonnie Holliday's flirtation with Arizona in 2003 ultimately led to him getting a big offer from the Chiefs.
In a twist of irony, though, Holliday ended up with the Cardinals after all, albeit quite a few years later.
At any rate, until Reid signs on the dotted line for a different team Cole's report -- like everyone else's before him -- is merely speculation.
- ESPN's Brock Huard says Seattle Seahawks' vulnerabilities are running game, penalties
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals - Dec. 20
- Double Coverage: Arizona Cardinals vs. Seattle Seahawks
- Marshawn Lynch presents another big challenge for Arizona Cardinals defense
- The biggest story was Carson Palmer, and here's why
- Brock Huard, ESPN Seattle analyst - Friday December 20Huard joins Burns & Gambo to talk about this Sundays Cardinals and Seahwaks game.
- Kurt Warner, former Cardinals QB - Friday December 20Kurt Warner talks about the improving Carson Palmer and the Cards' chances of making the playoffs.
- Wolf's 5 Star Games - Friday December 20Wolf gives his top 5 NFL games for this weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 20Wolf gives factors in the Cardinals upcoming game in Seattle.
- Michael Bidwell, President AZ Cardinals - Friday December 20The AZ Cardinals President discusses the upcoming game in Seattle.