Updated Dec 31, 2012 - 8:54 pm
Report: Three teams set to interview Ray Horton for head coaching vacancy
The interest makes plenty of sense, after all, Arizona's defense under Horton in 2012 was near the top of the league in passing defense and turnovers forced.
Seven NFL teams on "Black Monday" fired their respective head coaches, including the Arizona Cardinals, and Horton's name has been linked to several of them.
Monday night, CBS NFL Insider Jason La Canfora tweeted this about Horton's potential suitors:
Cards defensive coordinator Ray Horton will interview with the Bills, Browns and, well, the Cards. 3 teams so far— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) January 1, 2013
The Bills have a connection to Horton, in that Director of Pro Personnel Doug Whaley spent considerable time with him in Pittsburgh. While the Browns have no direct ties to Arizona's defensive coordinator, Horton proved he can help shut down AFC North offenses as an assistant defensive coordinator to Dick LeBeau with the Steelers.
He also has NFL experience in the division, as he spent six seasons as a cornerback with the Cincinnati Bengals (1983-1988).
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.