Updated Dec 31, 2012 - 7:44 pm
NFL Insider: 'Debatable' Ray Horton will get head coaching position
Despite yet another season to forget on the offensive side of the ball, the defensive coordinator's unit played playoff-caliber football regardless of what the win-loss total might indicate.
From the Patrick Peterson's development at cornerback to the maturation of Daryl Washington to the emergence of guys like Rashad Johnson and Sam Acho, Horton's fingerprints are all over the team's tremendous strides on defense. So much so, that President Michael Bidwill included the 52-year-old among the candidates the organization will interview for its new head coaching vacancy.
While Horton has proven himself at each of his five NFL stops (Washington Redskins, Cincinnati Bengals, Detroit Lions, Pittsburgh Steelers and Arizona), one ESPN insider isn't so sure he's ready for the promotion.
"It's debatable," ESPN Insider John Clayton said about Horton's head coaching prospects to Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Monday. "He's definitely going to get some interests. I mean you can already see that the phone lines are making a lot of calls."
Although Arizona might be fond of Horton's head coaching potential, Clayton said don't be surprised if the Buffalo Bills also join the pursuit. The Bills' Director of Pro Personnel, Doug Whaley, spent 10 seasons in Pittsburgh and is well-aware of Horton's ability to lead.
"He's definitely going to get consideration in Arizona, which he deserves," said Clayton. "But in the end, two years as a coordinator is pretty early to make a jump to head coach. It's one thing to jump, it's another thing to succeed."
Horton has certainly succeeded during his two years with the Cardinals. In 2012, Arizona's defense under Horton ranked No. 2 in third down defense (allowed just 32.9 percent of all attempted conversions), No. 4 in takeaways (34) and No. 5 in pass defense (allowed 200.8 yards per game).
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Arizona Cardinals sign a pair of defensive linemen
- All-Access with Arians: Dockett to have surgery, Mathieu and Ta'amu back
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.