Updated Dec 31, 2012 - 3:58 pm
Arizona Cardinals defenders hope Horton stays
May have, anyway.
With news that the Cardinals fired Ken Whisenhunt Monday came the natural question of who the team would get to replace him. Whisenhunt, after all, was in charge for the last six years and had some success, so people wonder what's next for the franchise.
It's been speculated that Horton would be in line for the job -- or a top job somewhere.
"That's the nature of the business, we know how it goes," Campbell said. "He will be a great head coach in this league, so I wouldn't be mad at him if that happened.
"It's just the way the business is, but I love playing for him and I hope I can play for him for a long time."
To a man, everyone on the defense was hopeful Horton would not go anywhere. Linebacker Daryl Washington said "hopefully he somehow does stay" and cornerback Patrick Peterson lamented the fact that the defense would have to start over if Horton left.
Every player understands it's possible Horton has coached them for the last time, though as of now it appears there's a chance one of the game's rising coaching stars will stick around.
"He's important to us," safety Kerry Rhodes said. "He's brought a different mentality for us on that side of the ball and he's a guy that we know is a hot commodity, we know that teams are going to come after him."
At a Monday afternoon press conference, team president Michael Bidwill confirmed that Horton will indeed be among the first candidates to be interviewed for the post.
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.