Updated Dec 31, 2012 - 1:00 pm
Cardinals fire head coach Ken Whisenhunt
Whisenhunt coached six years for the Cardinals, compiling a 45-51 record, including two NFC West division titles and the franchise's one and only trip to the Super Bowl.
Several of Whisenhunt's assistants have also been let go by the team. Russ Grimm (Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line), Mike Miller (Offensive Coordinator), Chad Grimm (Offensive Quality Control), John McNulty (Quarterbacks), Frank Reich (Wide Receivers) and Tommie Robinson (Running Backs).
Tight ends coach Freddie Kitchens and special teams coach Kevin Spencer were not affected by the firings.
No changes have been made with the defensive assistants to this point.
Under Whisenhunt, the Cardinals struggled following the retirement of quarterback Kurt Warner after the 2009 season. In the three seasons that followed consecutive playoff berths, the Cardinals went 18-30 while starting six different quarterbacks.
In 2012, the Cardinals suffered their worst loss in franchise history, a 58-0 drubbing at the hands of the Seattle Seahawks in Week 14.
The Cardinals have also suffered losing streaks in each of the last three seasons of at least six games, including a nine-game skid this season.
Whisenhunt had one year remaining on his contract.
The search for a new coach (and general manager) begins with the new year, and Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton, a hot coaching commodity around the league, would seem to have the early inside track on landing the head coaching post with the Cardinals.
Horton's defense ranked 12th in the league in yards allowed and 17th in points allowed this season.
Whisenhunt was one of seven NFL head coaches relieved of their duties Monday. The others were Philadelphia's Andy Reid, Buffalo's Chan Gailey, Cleveland's Pat Shurmur, San Diego's Norv Turner, Chicago's Lovie Smith and Kansas City's Romeo Crennel.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.