Updated Dec 27, 2012 - 10:46 am
Cardinals offensive lineman calls out lazy football website
It was an interesting headline given the subject matter, since the Arizona Cardinals could use a quarterback and it appears Smith will not be a member of the San Francisco 49ers much longer.
The story is an aggregated piece from a story written for the Sacramento Bee, which carried the headline "Alex Smith in Arizona? Snyder likes that idea".
Snyder, who left the 49ers for the Cardinals last offseason, was quoted as saying:
"If someone asked me about him, I would tell them exactly what I thought," Snyder said on a conference call. "I think the guy's got unbelievable character, and I think he's a leader. Obviously, he and I came in together (in 2005). So I've got a special place for him."
"I just think that Alex worked for seven years to get to the position he was in," Snyder said. "He was 19-5 (in the past two seasons) and had the best QB rating in the league and was doing his job to win games, you know? I don't know. It was surprising to me. But, hey, they get paid to make those decisions, and that's the decision they went with."
Seems pretty innocuous, right? Snyder is sticking up for a former teammate who posted a 104.1 QB rating this season before being benched due to an injury. Would Smith be an upgrade for Arizona? Probably, but then again so would 90-percent of the NFL's quarterbacks.
At any rate, nothing Snyder said should be interpreted as him saying he wants Smith in Arizona, unless of course him not saying he wants Smith in Arizona is really his way of saying he wants Smith in Arizona.
But alas, it appears ProFootballTalk decided to take someone else's headline and run with it, completely disregarding the actual content of the article.
And for that, Snyder's Arizona teammate Daryn Colledge had a tweet for the world.
Colledge is simply asking what the rest of us would from reading the headline and then the article: Where in the story did Snyder say he wants Smith on the team?
The answer is he didn't.
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.