Updated Dec 18, 2012 - 11:21 am
NFL insiders believe Kevin Kolb likely done in Arizona
Will the Cardinals, who acquired the former Eagle prior to the 2011 season, keep him with the belief that he will develop into the passer they thought he'd be? After all, Kolb did lead the team to its first four wins this season, and threw eight touchdown passes against three interceptions. His QB rating of 86.1 would rank 15th in the NFL right now, if he had enough pass attempts.
Which, incidentally, is the reason the Cardinals may instead decide to cut ties with Kolb. The passer's career in the desert has been marred by injuries, and by the time the season comes to a close Kolb will have played in just 15 of a possible 32 games for the team. It doesn't really matter how good you are if you can't stay on the field.
"Clearly Arizona has to do something at the quarterback position, and more than likely I think they'll wipe themselves out after two years of the Kevin Kolb experiment," ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike Tuesday. "I don't know if they move on Alex Smith or draft a quarterback, but they've got to do something."
At any rate, should the team decide to part with Kolb, his time in Arizona will be remembered as one of disappointment and unfulfilled expectations.
"Huge sunk cost there, they've paid this kid almost $20 million over two years," NFL insider Andrew Brandt told Mike & Mike. "There's nothing left in guarantees, but that's a huge sunk cost for someone to take on a big salary next year."
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves