Updated Dec 14, 2012 - 2:08 pm
Cardinals DC looking for rookie Jamell Fleming to 'grow up'
Defensive coordinator Ray Horton described Fleming's play early in the year as "spectacular," but thinks the corner since has had "a sense of lull" or "complacency" as of late.
"I think he probably thought there is nothing to this league. I don't have to prepare, I don't have to study, I don't have to challenge myself and you really do every day or you get run by," Horton said.
The Cardinals selected the former Oklahoma Sooner in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft, but Horton doesn't want the young cornerback to act like a rookie anymore.
"I need him to grow up, mature, be a professional and in my opinion, he is not at that point yet," Horton said. "We had a long talk yesterday, so it will be interesting to see how he performs."
Fleming said that he had no argument with what Horton told him.
"Him being honest is what I want," Fleming said. "I don't want him to lie to me and tell me something I want to hear."
Horton said he challenged Fleming to be a very good special teams player and wanted to see what the rookie could do on Sunday.
"Whenever they put me in, that's where I am going to make my mark," Fleming said. "I'm just trying to get better."
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals new left tackle - Wednesday March 12Jared Veldheer discusses his recent signing with the Cardinals.
- Dave Pasch, voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Wednesday March 12Dave Pasch explains what it is like to work with Bill Walton.
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.