Updated Dec 10, 2012 - 1:29 pm
Whisenhunt on job status: 'I control what I can control'
The organization hasn't been shy about letting go of a head coach following an embarrassing defeat. After Arizona was routed 48-7 by the Dallas Cowboys back in October 2000, team president Bill Bidwill and general manager Bob Ferguson fired head coach Vince Tobin a day later and replaced him with defensive coordinator Dave McGinnis.
While Whisenhunt didn't suffer the same fate Monday, he was asked about his job status and the relationship he has with team management.
"I've talked to Michael [Bidwill] every day," Whisenhunt said. "We talk about all kinds of things. You know I control what I can control.
"Like I said, I understand this business and I have a job to do. I feel disappointed we haven't done it."
With their loss on Sunday, the Cardinals have now been eliminated from postseason contention for the third consecutive year. And while Whisenhunt built up plenty of goodwill within the organization after leading the Cardinals to back-to-back division titles in 2008 and 2009, that seems like an afterthought these days in the midst of a nine-game losing streak.
Although it would be easy for the Cardinals coach to deflect the negative attention he and his woeful team have garnered around the Valley in recent weeks, Whisenhunt admitted Monday that the fans deserve better.
"My greatest disappointment is for our fans," said Whisenhunt. "They've been so good to me and to us. I feel like I've let them down from not being able to do what we wanted to do."
After the 2012 season, Whisenhunt still has one year remaining on his current contract for $5.5 million.
In 93 games as Arizona's head coach, Whisenhunt is 44-49.
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves