Updated Nov 28, 2012 - 4:26 pm
Cards' Rich Ohrnberger moves from backup to starter
November 28, 2012: Cardinals start new center vs. Jets
Rich Ohrnberger was the center of attention Wednesday, both literally and figuratively.
The three-year veteran has played in all 11 games this season. This week, though, he slides into the starting center position after the season-ending knee injury to Lyle Sendlein.
"I'm just going out there," Ohrnberger said, "trying to keep things the way they've been and do as best a job as I can."
Sunday will be his first-ever start at center and only his third start overall.
In contrast, Sendlein's 75 consecutive regular season starts were the third-most among centers in the NFL behind Baltimore's Matt Birk (107) and Houston's Chris Myers (91).
"At least Rich has been getting some reps in practice with the second team," head coach Ken Whisenhunt said. "So hopefully, and he's played some this year, the transition will be smooth enough."
Ohrnberger believes it will be.
"It's really no difference," he said. "Right guard (his natural position) you have your right hand on the ground. Center you have your right hand on the ball."
Admittedly, Ohrnberger will have more responsibility. It's typically the center's job to call out the blocking assignments before each snap.
Add to that,having a rookie quarterback making just his second career start, and doing so on the road in a hostile environment
"(Ryan Lindley) has shown great poise all season long, even when he was just in a reserve role," Ohrnberger said. "His confidence is unwavered. I have a lot of respect for Ryan. We're comfortable with each other so it's good."
Comfortable enough to have his hands between your legs?
"Always have been," Ohrnberger said with a smile. "I accept all comers really when it comes to that."
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.