Updated Nov 5, 2012 - 7:13 pm
Cardinals linebacker O'Brien Schofield to miss rest of season
As if the team's current five-game losing streak wasn't enough, outside linebacker O'Brien Schofield tweeted Monday night that he will miss the remainder of the 2012 season.
Schofield left Sunday's 31-17 loss at Green Bay with an apparent left ankle injury, after defensive tackle Darnell Dockett was pushed back into the third-year linebacker.
The severity of the ankle injury was unknown when the Cardinals headed back to the Valley Sunday night, but the team was hopeful Schofield hadn't suffered a high ankle sprain.
Schofield underwent an MRI on Monday, and while he isn't a doctor, the prognosis based on the tweet doesn't appear to be good.
I'm out for the season. I'm sorry Cardinal fans. But I will be back and stronger then ever. This yr was just a preview of why is to Come.— O'Brien (@Ob_Scho) November 6, 2012
On the season, Schofield has four sacks and 34 total tackles -- good for fourth-best on the team.
The injury is especially painful for the Cardinals, who are rather thin at the position. Quentin Groves -- two sacks and 17 tackles -- has played admirably as Schofield's backup, but after that it's slim pickings for Arizona.
Zach Nash, a rookie, was activated off the practice squad this week, and was third on the depth chart behind Schofield and Groves against the Packers.
Inside linebacker Stewart Bradley has seen very limited time this season, but was used on the outside during certain packages last year.
- Karlos Dansby attracting many suitors for his services
- Report says Andre Roberts agrees to deal with Redskins
- Free agent kicker Jay Feely announces he's re-signed with Arizona Cardinals
- NFL Draft '14: Six-round mock draft for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?