Updated Nov 5, 2012 - 7:13 pm
Cardinals linebacker O'Brien Schofield to miss rest of season
As if the team's current five-game losing streak wasn't enough, outside linebacker O'Brien Schofield tweeted Monday night that he will miss the remainder of the 2012 season.
Schofield left Sunday's 31-17 loss at Green Bay with an apparent left ankle injury, after defensive tackle Darnell Dockett was pushed back into the third-year linebacker.
The severity of the ankle injury was unknown when the Cardinals headed back to the Valley Sunday night, but the team was hopeful Schofield hadn't suffered a high ankle sprain.
Schofield underwent an MRI on Monday, and while he isn't a doctor, the prognosis based on the tweet doesn't appear to be good.
I'm out for the season. I'm sorry Cardinal fans. But I will be back and stronger then ever. This yr was just a preview of why is to Come.— O'Brien (@Ob_Scho) November 6, 2012
On the season, Schofield has four sacks and 34 total tackles -- good for fourth-best on the team.
The injury is especially painful for the Cardinals, who are rather thin at the position. Quentin Groves -- two sacks and 17 tackles -- has played admirably as Schofield's backup, but after that it's slim pickings for Arizona.
Zach Nash, a rookie, was activated off the practice squad this week, and was third on the depth chart behind Schofield and Groves against the Packers.
Inside linebacker Stewart Bradley has seen very limited time this season, but was used on the outside during certain packages last year.
- Arizona Cardinals' OC: Rashard Mendenhall 'back to what I remember' from Pittsburgh
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 5
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely feels a responsibility to help others
- Arizona Cardinals' O-line faces familiar challenge in St. Louis Rams' Robert Quinn
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.