Updated Nov 5, 2012 - 7:13 pm
Cardinals linebacker O'Brien Schofield to miss rest of season
As if the team's current five-game losing streak wasn't enough, outside linebacker O'Brien Schofield tweeted Monday night that he will miss the remainder of the 2012 season.
Schofield left Sunday's 31-17 loss at Green Bay with an apparent left ankle injury, after defensive tackle Darnell Dockett was pushed back into the third-year linebacker.
The severity of the ankle injury was unknown when the Cardinals headed back to the Valley Sunday night, but the team was hopeful Schofield hadn't suffered a high ankle sprain.
Schofield underwent an MRI on Monday, and while he isn't a doctor, the prognosis based on the tweet doesn't appear to be good.
I'm out for the season. I'm sorry Cardinal fans. But I will be back and stronger then ever. This yr was just a preview of why is to Come.— O'Brien (@Ob_Scho) November 6, 2012
On the season, Schofield has four sacks and 34 total tackles -- good for fourth-best on the team.
The injury is especially painful for the Cardinals, who are rather thin at the position. Quentin Groves -- two sacks and 17 tackles -- has played admirably as Schofield's backup, but after that it's slim pickings for Arizona.
Zach Nash, a rookie, was activated off the practice squad this week, and was third on the depth chart behind Schofield and Groves against the Packers.
Inside linebacker Stewart Bradley has seen very limited time this season, but was used on the outside during certain packages last year.
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.